Ok, apparently I’m no good at keeping up with every day blogging. =(
Wednesday: practicing using dictionaries by creating a shopping list app. There are other Further Study items for me to try out, but I’m now hooked onto my final project…
Thursday / Friday: I decided to change my final project from Hangman to Blackjack so I could a) build something with more complexity and b) build something I enjoy playing. The pseudocoding exercise really helped on this one because of all of the different game parts and cases around handling A as 1 or 11.
I defined my Blackjack MVP as:
- Single player game
- Basic game: player aims to reach 21 without going over, and then dealer aims to reach 21
- No betting
- No doubling / splitting / any other special rules
- Cards represented in text form (i.e. 2S = 2 of spades)
This took me most of Thursday to complete.
Today, I implemented the betting system, and from my tests so far, it seems to work fine. I’ll need to have others test though just to be sure.
The nice thing about this project is that I have plenty of actual features that I can build in, including:
- Doubling down
- Splitting hands
- Flexibility to change rules like minimum bet, what cards can be doubled down on, number of decks used, etc.
- Showing the cards in graphical form
Let’s see how far I get before presentation time!